First Timers & Etiquette
The Yoga Room is a unique environment wherein you, the practitioner, are given the opportunity to focus on self-reflection through a systematic 90 minutes of practice. The teacher is responsible for controlling the environment and you are responsible for controlling your self. As you have chosen the path of service, please hold yourself to the highest standards.
The breathing is the key to have a good class “Are you thinking or are you breathing”. Once you drink enough water, your body will tolerate the heat better and you will enjoy the heat.
- Do not eat at least 2 hours before class – it is best to come on an empty stomach.
- Be well hydrated (drink plenty of water) before class.
- Arrive 20 minutes before class for orientation.
- Expect to sweat, wear comfortable yoga clothes (yoga wear is also for sale at the studio).
- Remove your shoes upon entering near entrance.
- Sign up (PRINT your first and last name with capital letters).
- Turn off all electronic devices and leave them in your secure locker.
- Bring ONLY your mat, towel and water to the practice room.
- Set up your mat at the rear of the room and make sure you can see yourself in the mirror.
- Remain SILENT while in the practice room.
- Focus on your own practice and yourself in the mirror throughout the class.
- The first water break is after the eagle pose. Drink water between postures, not during postures.
- If you feel like leaving the room please stay in a seated position and breathe through the nose and stay calm.
- Completing the full 90 minutes in the room is an important part of Bikram practice.
- Stay in the room for 2-3 minutes to cool down your system and drink water (never leave the room before the instructor).
- Leave the room (following your instructor) quietly and respect your classmates.
- Spray your rented mat with a disinfectant solution and hang to dry.
- Please share showers and changing rooms.
- Remember to take all belongings – all items left for more then 2 weeks will be kindly donated.
Work hard and have fun!
Thank you, in advance for your mindful presence and self-respect throughout the class. To see the results of yoga, you should be practising on a regular basis, 3-4 times a week. Please direct any questions to the Teacher or Staff
“Because of lack of self-realization, you always under-estimate yourself.”
- Bikram Choudhury